Technology & Networking in Silicon Valley & the SF Bay Area: Upcoming Meetings, Courses and Conferences
WEDNESDAY May 9, 2012
SCV Communications Chapter
Speakers: Colleen Chien, Assistant Professor, Santa Clara University Law Faculty; Alex Rogers, Senior VP & Legal Counsel, Qualcomm; Suzanne Michel, Senior Patent Counsel, Google; Paul Roeder, Vice President & Legal Counsel, HP; Tom Lavelle, Senior Vice President and General Counsel, Rambus; Jonathan Wells, AJIS Consulting
Time: Networking and refreshments at 6:00 PM, Presentations at 6:30 PM
Cost: $5 donation is requested for refreshments
Place: Texas Instruments Building E, 2900 Semiconductor Dr., Santa Clara
RSVP: from website
Patent experts and representatives from various companies in the mobile space will discuss the impact of ever increasing patent litigation, including so-called “mobile patent wars”, involving convergence devices such as mobile phones and tablets. They will address what drives current patent litigation landscape and what this ultimately means to consumers. The discussion topics would include whether the current patent system promote or stifles innovation, what role, if any, standardization plays in the current conflicts, and whether there is a better way to address the “royalty-stacking issue” associated with convergence devices.
- Alex Rogers will speak on patent suits between competitors – Apple vs. HTC/Motorola/Samsung, Microsoft vs. Motorola, etc.
- Cynthia Bright will talk about NPE patent suits – are they increasing or decreasing? Has the AIA had any impact?
- Josh McGuire will talk about acquiring patents for protection – CPTN’s acquisition of Novell patents, Nortel patent auction, Google’s purchase of IBM patents etc.
- Colleen Chien will cover Patent remedies – ITC vs. district court
- Tom Lavelle will address Companies’ transfer of IP Assets to NPEs – Micron to RRR, Nokia to Mosaid, Apple to Digitude, etc.
- Jonathan Wells will guide us through what this means for engineers
[IEEE S.F. Bay Area Council - www.e-grid.net] [powered by WordPress .]
Support our advertisers:
SUBSCRIBE: Get the e-GRID twice a month by email - upcoming IEEE SF Bay Area meetings, conferences.Subscribe to our RSS Feed. PUBLICIZE your event to IEEE's membership.
35 queries. 0.293 seconds